The Amish Cook from Oasis Newsfeatures

The Devils Playground about Amish on TV today (Mon 9/27)

Just wanted to let everyone know that today, Monday 9/27 on NTGEO which is channel 186 on Dish Network at 12-1 CENTRAL TIME is going to be a show called "The Devils Playground." It is supposed to be about the Amish Youth. I have never seen it before has anyone else?

Re: The Devils Playground about Amish on TV today (Mon 9/27)

Okay, this may not be all of the Amish all across our country but there are some teens, mostly the boys, who go through this period of indecision and do indulge in the English ways a bit too much. These teens need the help of the English community since they have none in their own. My daughter is a social worker in an area I will not mention and she will soon be re-assigned to oversee a group (27) Amish boys that are having difficulty going back to the Amish way of life. They are addicted to drugs, alcohol or just to the English way of life and would not be a good citizen in either world. Her job would be to counsel these young men to find their way without the drugs and alcohol into the English world or the Amish. She has quite a task ahead of her, not one I envy. Their families have not turned their backs on these boys so she will be working with them also in a way they are not familiar. Her job will be difficult but she is dedicated to it and will do her best for these young men and their families.

I guess what I am trying to say is 'Devil's Playground' may not be a world-wide problem but it is a problem to some teens. Yes, I do think it could have been done better but it's out there and now more are aware of the problems and I do think that  it's purpose.

Well that was an hour wasted that I will never get back!! They make it sound like the minute EVERY Amish teen turns 16 they jump in a car, grab a cigarette and beer and go party. Geez!!  This is one of the very reasons we need you Kevin because you have explained rumspringa and how it is usually just a very few that even try those things and for the most part the teens usually stay in the church.

I've seen it. It's been on TV many times. Like Kevin said, they focus on the "troubled" teens, which, I'm sure, are in the minority.

Oh yes, this is a very well-known - and somewhat controversial - documentary.  The reason it's controversial among some Amish is that it doesn't come off as the most balanced documentary.  The film itself (I've watched it) is not terrible and it's pretty well-done, but it DOES come off that most Amish youth go through this "rebellious" period and that really just isn't the case.  If you watch the documentary and just keep in mind that they are focusing on a handful of individuals that are not necessarily representative of the Amish experience as a whole, then it is a pretty good film.  But if it's watched as an exposition on what all Amish youth experience, then it is not very accurate....