This is a box of fresh doughnuts that I picked up from an Amish bakery in Indiana. Yummmmm…a cinnamon roll, a maple glazed, and a few peanut-butter cream filled doughnuts. Those doughnuts were amazingly delicious. Doughnuts are common confections in Amish kitchens because they were do require only very basic ingredients to make and with just a few twists you can add some amazing flavors. The peanut butter cream-filled doughnuts can be found on this website, the recipe is quite similar to what you see in the photo. I broke one of the peanut butter-filled doughnuts in half for you all so you could see the inside. Oh wow, those are superb!
And below is a very basic Amish cinnamon roll recipe of the type that you see in the doughnut box.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 packages yeast
- 4 beaten eggs
- ⅔ cup melted butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 6 cups bread flour
- Mix 2 teaspoons sugar, water, and yeast together; let sit.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and add to first mixture.
- Let stand until double in bulk.
- Roll out dough.
- Spread with soft oleo, brown sugar, and cinnamon. ‘
- Roll up, cut and place in pan.
- Let rise.
- Bake at 350 degrees til brown.
- Spread with icing when cool.